Cobleigh Public Library
In 1905 Eber W. Cobleigh donated $15,000 to erect a public library building in Lyndonville. The site of the Silsbury Livery Stable at Main and Depot Street was authorized for purchase at the annual town meeting in March and the library building was completed in late 1906. Plans for the building were drawn by William J Sayward, a member of the well known firm that had designed the Boston Public Library. The library was dedicated and opened to the public in January, 1907. Building A dedicated group of individuals, clubs and organizations continued to support the library through donations, grants and tax support. The basement was renovated in 1976 to create a children’s room. In 1995, with a combination of grants (state, federal) and local fundraising, the building was expanded with the renovation of the attic, a new adult learning center/computer lab, and an elevator for handicap accessibility. The library’s history of community support continues into the 21st century. In 2002, a new larger bookmobile, improvements to the building and furnishings, an automated catalog and world wide web presence has been made possible through a generous grant from the Freeman Foundation, the Gates Foundation and the Vermont Department of Libraries administered Mobile Library Literacy Grant (funded through and Institute of Museum and Library Services federal Grant).
- The Cobleigh Public Library is an inviting community center, which provides programs, services, books and materials, public space, and information to all residents in the Lyndon area.